Monday, February 9, 2015
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 Keyboard does not work on Windows 7
Problem description: I bought this keyboard to give some rest to my wrists. To my surprise when I connected keyboard to USB port it didn't work. I tried following:
1. Uninstalled keyboard from device manager and scanned again. It finds the keyboard and even the model of keyboard but it is unable to install drivers.
2. Installed Mouse and Keyboard Center 2.3 64bit and it didn't help.
3. Installed IntelliType 8.2 64bit for Windows 7 which didn't work either,
4. Connected KB to another desktop and it worked which had Ubuntu on it.
5. Connected to another windows desktop and it worked.
6. Checked Microsoft forums for this keyboard that was not of much help.
7. On same machine where it does not work in Windows, it works in bios and while selecting booting options.
By this time, it was established that issue is with the drivers on my particular desktop. Then started to look for forums that were unrelated to this keyboard but in general keyboard drivers issue, found somewhere mentioned that MS update KB2529073.
CAUSE: Windows update KB2529073 may cause this issue.
1. Connect another keyboard and log on to machine in question.
2. Remove Windows update KB2529073.
3. Shutdown PC.
4. Swap keyboard again with Microsoft Keyboard.
5. Start PS and wait for MS Windows to start, you will realise that green light above  button is on this time which wasn't turned on when issue existed. Your keyboard should be good to go.